Thursday, October 4, 2012

Natural VS. Chemical: Grout Cleaner


I found a recipe for natural grout cleaner and decided to put it to the test against a brand of grout cleaner that is chemical based. Which one worked better? Let's find out!

All Natural Grout Cleaner VS. Zep Grout Cleaner

Here is the recipe I found for the natural grout cleaner:


- 7 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar

* I used about half this recipe. It makes a lot! 


Bellow is the chemical product Zep. Make sure you wear gloves if you use this product! It will burn your skin. 


Bellow is the "before" for both products:

Before Zep Cleaner
Before All Natural Cleaner

Bellow is the grout with the cleaners applied:
I applied each cleaner to the grout and left it for 2-3 minutes 

Zep Applied to Grout
Natural Cleaner Applied to Grout


    The after shots:
After leaving the product on for 2-3 minutes, I scrubbed both products with a corse sponge for the same amount of time. Here are the results:









Zep After Shot
Natural Cleaner After Shot
The Left Side of the Picture is the Tile Cleaned with All Natural Cleaner. The Right Side is the Tile Cleaned with Zip

Conclusion: The Natural Recipe Won!

As you can see the natural cleaner actually worked really well! If you put some elbow grease into it, you will see some really great results. I'll be honest I didn't think it would beat the chemical product but I was proven wrong. This recipe not only is good for the environment and your family, it saves you money! To be fair the chemical product did produce some results, but I just didn't think it was worth it. The chemicals were dangerous, messy, and not as effective. So when it comes to grout, natural wins! I will definitely use this recipe again in the future. 


Because there is baking soda in the recipe, it does leave a residue on the tile so make sure you clean your floors afterwards. I like to use this all natural product to clean tile:


They may have a floor cleaner but I like to use this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment